The Dance Current is Hiring an Editor-In-Chief
Applications due: January 9, 2023
Job type: Full time
Career level: Upper management
Location: Toronto, with the ability to work remotely
Dance Media Group/Groupe Danse Média is a charitable non-profit organization publishing The Dance Current in print and online. We facilitate critical conversation about the art, practices and people involved in the many dance forms across the land we call Canada. The organization strives to deepen engagement with dance communities through special publishing projects and educational programming.
Through its media platforms, Dance Media Group/Groupe Danse Média acts as a hub for inclusive and accessible dance discussion. Our mission is to advance the dance sector, and dance literacy among the public at large, by publishing timely, educational, community-informed content and programming.
Heading into its 25th year, Dance Media Group is seeking an Editor-in-Chief to lead The Dance Current team. Reporting to the Board, the Editor-in-Chief directs editorial and educational programming and oversees all business operations of the organization. The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for ensuring that the activities and day to day operations of the organization are in line with the vision, mission and mandate of Dance Media Group.
The ideal candidate has a background in dance (any form or style), is attuned to the various dance communities across the land we call Canada, strong writing/editing abilities and experience in personnel and financial management.
- Create and disseminate pitch calls for the quarterly print issue with support from the Deputy Editor
- Assign and edit news, columns and features for the quarterly print issue
- Oversee the fact checking and copy editing processes with support from the Deputy Editor
- Photo source
- Manage the print team including: Fact Checker, Copy Editor, Art Director
- In partnership with the Deputy Editor, assign and edit digital news and reviews
- Provide oversight of all financial activity, manage business operations, and provide office management on a day-to-day basis
- Lead the development of annual budgets in consultation with staff and Board treasurer according to strategic programming and revenue development needs
- Oversee external bookkeeping team and ensure compliance with CRA’s nonprofit requirements (filing of T4s, T4As, T3010, etc.)
- Prepare for biweekly bookkeeping appointments
- Management of human resources
- Lead staff meetings to discuss and provide/receive updates on regular operations and special projects
- Lead the hiring and onboarding of staff as required to ensure sufficient capacity for new projects and programming
- Liaise and coordinate with contract Circulation Manager to fulfill the mail-out of single issues, replacement copies and new subscriber copies
- Identify opportunities to increase revenue from current earned revenue products/services (magazine distribution, advertising), and collaborate with the Marketing & Development Director to implement revenue growth strategies
- Lead the development of grant applications for core operating and project funding, managing grant writing contributions from other staff and contractors as required
- Act as primary staff representative at all Dance Media Group board meetings, participating in committees as required and provide regular operational updates
How to apply:
Applications due: January 9, 2023
If you are interested in applying for the Editor-in-Chief position, please send the following items to email@example.com with the subject line EDITOR-IN-CHIEF APPLICATION:
- Your resumé/CV
- A one-page cover letter detailing your interest in the position and the relevant skills that will help you succeed in this role. Tell us what your resume cannot!
- 3 writing samples, and any examples of editing, if available
Candidates will be selected for assessment based on their application submissions and assessment will include an interview.
Candidates who identity as deaf or disabled are encouraged to apply. Please let us know of any accommodation we may provide during the application, interview, or selection process.