Applications are now closed.
Editor’s note: This job posting has been updated from its original version that stated we could accept applications from any province or territory. Since this project is funded by the Toronto Arts Council, we are actually only able to accept applications from candidates living in Toronto.
Application Deadline: Jul 20, 2022
Anticipated Start Date: Aug 01, 2022
Hourly From: $23
Job Type: Contract
Career Level: Intermediate
Dance Media Group/Groupe Danse Média
Dance Media Group is the leading non-profit dance media organization in Canada. Through our flagship publication, The Dance Current, we facilitate engaging and critical conversation about the art, practices and people involved in the many dance forms across the country. (Please note: we reference Canada here to align with the organization’s formally stated charitable objectives, acknowledging that some may not acknowledge borders and territories as defined by the Crown.)
Inclusive of all dance genres, quarterly print issues include stories, personal essays and features. Our website publishes additional digital features, performance reviews, event listings and more. We program workshops and public events to further dance education and literacy and regularly partner with organizations across the dance ecosystem to support educational programming and mentorship opportunities.
ANTICIPATED TIME FRAME: Aug. 1 – Dec. 2, 2022
HOURS: An average of 15 hours per week. (This is slightly variable throughout the production period. The guest editor can expect heavier weeks in the beginning and end of the engagement period during issue assignment and issue proofing, respectively.)
LOCATION: Fully remote, with the option of in-office work at our Toronto office. This project is funded by the Toronto Arts Council, so we are only able to accept applications from candidates living in Toronto.
SALARY: $6,210 flat rate.
ABOUT THE BIPOC GUEST EDITOR ROLE
The guest editor will lead the curation of features, news, event previews and other content to be published in our Winter 2023 issue. Working collaboratively with The Dance Current’s editor-in-chief, Grace Wells-Smith, the guest editor will oversee issue planning, story assignment, content editing and other tasks related to the production of the magazine.
The guest editor will have primary creative control over issue content and coverage. Our ideal editor is attuned to the news, issues and topics of relevance to the dance communities they are a part of and eager to share those stories with a national audience of dance supporters.
Recognizing that media outlets – including The Dance Current – have historically centred Eurocentric performance practices in their coverage of dance, Dance Media Group is explicitly prioritizing BIPOC arts writers for this role. We encourage applicants of all abilities to apply.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone with arts writing experience and a relationship to dance of any form who is looking to gain experience in editing and magazine production.
In collaboration with The Dance Current’s editor-in-chief, the guest editor will:
- Develop the theme for the Winter 2023 issue reflecting conversations of relevance to dance communities across the country
- Assign writers and contributors to create planned content, relying on The Dance Current’s contributor roster as well as the guest editor’s own network
- Liaise with writers as they develop issue content and edit submitted writing
- Write an editor’s note for the issue
- Collaborate with The Dance Current’s art director in the design and layout of the issue
- Co-ordinate with The Dance Current’s deputy editor, marketing and development director, copy editor, fact checker and translator as needed throughout the issue production cycle
- Co-ordinate with The Dance Current staff team in the creation of promotional material for the issue
How to Apply:
Apply by: July 20, 2022, 11:59 p.m. EST
Anticipated interview dates: July 22 – 27, 2022
Anticipated start date: Aug 1, 2022
If you are interested in applying for the BIPOC guest editor position, please send the following items to email@example.com with the subject line GUEST EDITOR APPLICATION:
- Your resumé/CV
- A brief statement of interest – no more than 250 words – telling us why you’re interested in editing the Winter 2023 issue, the perspective you would bring to the role and relevant skills that will help you to be successful in this position
- A sample of your writing, ideally a published piece
Candidates will be selected for assessment based on their application submissions. Candidate assessment will include an interview, for which they will be asked to prepare an issue theme pitch.
Candidates who identity as deaf or disabled are encouraged to apply. Please let us know of any accommodation we may provide during the application, interview, or selection process.